The National University Herald

Portfolium Revolutionizes Multimedia Packed Employment Portfolios

Adam Markowitz. Photo courtesy of University of Southern California's Alumni webpage.

Richard Lloreda, Staff Writer

In the age of technology, standing out from the crowd is more important than ever. Adam Markowitz, founder and CEO of the San Diego-based visual resume posting site Portfolium, couldn’t agree more. After graduating from University of Southern California with an MS in Astronautical Engineering, Markowitz founded Portfolium in 2012. His team helps students and professionals reach a greater market by expressing their work with a strong visual presence. Portolium is a free service. Users can organize their work and categorize them with hashtags and topical searches. The website also allows other users to request interaction with students whose work inspires them.

Markowitz sat for an interview during a recent Portfolium office move.

Adam Markowitz said “I founded Portfolium with a vision of helping universities connect their students and alumni with employers based on proven skills and competencies acquired throughout their academic journey – via both curriculum and even co-curricular activities. It’s been incredible to witness just how invested universities have become in driving student success, and as a result, Portfolium’s growth. We’ll be announcing a number of new and exciting partnerships with universities in the coming weeks and months.”

After graduating from USC in 2010, Markowitz applied to EvoNexus, a technology incubator that helps startup companies in the San Diego and Orange County region. “As a first-time entrepreneur with little experience but all of the passion and determination in the world, I wanted to surround myself with experienced folks who were willing to help. That’s what EvoNexus is,” Markowitz said.

Markowitz develops key partners through persistence. By building a reputation of over-delivering, he was able to secure early partners in higher education, which helped slingshot his company into the spotlight.

Markowitz’s company struggled financially in the beginning as most start-ups do.

“We bootstrapped Portfolium for quite some time. We knew we had some key milestones we needed to achieve in order to prove our concept and earn the attention of prominent investors. We also set up those difficult to reach milestones early on and were very open about what they were,” Markowitz said.

A common business technique was used to secure funding for Portfolium. “We kept the right people informed of our progress along the way, so that when these milestones were achieved and even exceeded we weren’t starting from scratch with investors” Markowitz said.

What distinguishes Markowitz from other companies similar to his, is the way he operates his business.

“Passion, sacrifice, empathy, sincerity, and humanity are the basis to my success,” Markowitz said.

Markowitz said he made a lot of mistakes since founding Portfolium. “It’s true what [they] say. We learn the most from our mistakes. So I suggest making a lot of small mistakes and quickly learning from them and not repeating them.”

Markowitz said he learned from his mistakes by reflecting after every call and every meeting.

If he could go back and do things differently, Markowitz said he would get out of his own way sooner than he actually did.

Repetition is key, in figuring out what works. For example, starting with an MVP, even if it’s just talking about an idea and immediately testing the idea, by getting feedback from potential customers, clients and users, is important for growth, Markowitz said.

Markowitz said it’s impossible to avoid the unknown because there’s always going to be unknowns. No one knows exactly how to execute what they’re doing or what they’re trying to do. If they did, they’d do it themselves.

“It’s up to you to surround yourself with people smarter and more experienced than you to minimize the unknowns. I understand that I don’t everything, so I try to learn and spend time with others who can point those things out to me,” Markowitz said.

Portfolium differs from other job search websites such as LinkedIn, which allows people to view a resumes and media but has it all in separate places, and Indeed which just has a resume. Portfolium allows students working toward careers that require a highly developed visual content, like advertising campaigns or any of the realms of design, to post their video’s, and other media projects on Portfolium, making this website a shining comparison to other sites for people who wish to show off examples of work that are multimedia packed.

Portfolium also allows user to create communities of fans and supporters who share mutual interests and help spread each other’s work to prospective contacts in the most direct and vital way. Viewing someone’s work is much more persuasive than reading a resume.
To view Portfolium go to:
https://portfolium.com/

• Portfolium Revolutionizes Multimedia Packed Employment Portfolios

Feature

The Grizzly Has Growled Once Again

Arts & Entertainment

Review: Coleco: The Official Book

Lifestyle

Review: Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X Open Air Gaming Headset

Feature

The Mane Event

Feature

Eradicating bullying through restorative justice

News

San Diego schools battle bullying

Arts & Entertainment

Summer Movie Report Card: A Mixed Popcorn Bag

NU Podcasts

Wine, Women & Words: Plot Twists

News

SDUSD Board approves plan to address Islamaphobia

NU Podcasts

Wine, Women & Words: Special Guest Edition

The student-run news site of National University