NU Writing Center hosts spring write-in

Back to Article
Back to Article

NU Writing Center hosts spring write-in

Photo courtesy of StartUpStockPhotos.

Photo courtesy of StartUpStockPhotos.

Photo courtesy of StartUpStockPhotos.

Photo courtesy of StartUpStockPhotos.

Michele Leivas, Editor

Finals week has descended upon students at National University, as it does every month, and most students are prepping for their final exam, working on their final paper—or both.

This month students can enjoy a unique event offered by the NU Library and Writing Center faculty: the International Spring Write-In. Participating in this worldwide event for the first time this year, the NU library will welcome students to the two-day event on April 27 and 28 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Writing coaches and librarians will be available to provide research pointers, writing tips and general encouragement when that dreaded writer’s block kicks in. Refreshments will also be available for any necessary refueling.

Writing Center Director and NU Professor Shareen Grogan explained that this event is similar to the Writer’s Retreat offered monthly at the Writing Center. This year, she added, the Writing Center is joining the international movement originating in Germany and originally called “The Long Night Against Procrastination.”

The writing coaches will not be subject-matter experts; however, Grogan said, this is beneficial for students.

“What the writing tutors can do as non-specialists—as not being in the [specific] programs the students are in—is we can check for clarity,” she said. “They can’t assume that we’ll know [everything], and we’ll fill in the gaps for them.”

Reservations are still available here for students wishing to attend one or both evenings, and Grogan added that walk-ins are welcome. The NU library is located at 9393 Lightwave Ave., room 231, San Diego.