Pikmin 4, the game that’s been in development since 2013, is rumored to be making a comeback with new gameplay mechanics. Nintendo’s game developer Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that they are working on Pikmin 4. This speculation stems from some rather ambiguous statements made by Nintendo officials themselves about Pikmin 3 being popular enough for another sequel.
The last time we heard anything at all was back in 2015 when word got out of an alleged update on its production but has not yet materialized into any announcements or news updates as of this date and so it remains unclear whether there are still plans to create more content related to the series anytime soon?
The Pikmin revival has been a smashing success, but it raises the question as to whether or not we’ll see an equally successful sequel. For years now we’ve heard very little about what is being planned for Pikmin 4 and this leaves us all wondering if there will ever be another installment in the franchise.
What could have gone wrong?
The last five years have been a mystery for fans of the Pikmin series, who are unlikely to get any clarification from Nintendo anytime soon. There’s an abundance of information about other franchises like Metroid Prime 4 and Super Mario Maker 2 but not much has come out on what happened with Pikmin 4- until now!
Miyamoto recently commented in an interview that it appears development stalled because “the project ran into some troubles.” This is likely due to wanting more time to figure things out or fix bugs before releasing something less than stellar.
It seems as though this production reset will be akin to when they did one for Metroid Prime 4 after its absence was understandable given how good the franchise had become.
Miyamoto Comments on Pikmin 4
- Nintendo’s legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto was eagerly awaiting the opportunity to talk about his new project, Pikmin 4. When he spoke with GameRant at E3 in July 2016, it became clear that this is a personal passion for him and one of Nintendo’s most ambitious projects yet.
- Miyamoto mentioned that Pikmin 4 had already been near completion before the preceding year.
- It’s expected that Nintendo would not bring a new Pikmin game to the spotlight until they have an excellent idea for it.Pikmin 4 was also not prominent on Nintendo’s priority list, according to creator Shigeru Miyamoto during his GameRant conversation with them in 2017.
- Miyamoto seemed to suggest that Pikmin was on the backburner, because some of the designers who had worked with it have moved onto other projects.
- At E3, Miyamoto talked to Eurogamer. He confirmed that Nintendo is still making Pikmin 4 and they are improving it.
Nintendo Comments on Pikmin 4
Nintendo said that the title is in progress. They added that they can’t say any more than that, but people should know about the game.
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Pikmin was most recently revived in October 2020. This happened when Pikmin 3, which was originally released for the Wii U, was remastered and rereleased for the Nintendo Switch.
Pikmin 3 Deluxe received good reviews. This might be good news for people who want to play the game as soon as possible.
Why is Pikmin 4 still possible?
- If not a way to measure how people feel about the Pikmin franchise, then good feedback about Pikmin 3 Deluxe is at best an indication that people are still open to playing.
- Nintendo has a loyalty program for their customers. If you are a customer, you can get some free stuff. Recently they added Pikmin coasters to the list of things that come with this program. But we know that this does not mean anything about Pikmin 4’s future. All of the Pikmin games are still alive and well, so we should wait patiently for their next game to come out!
Is there any news on Pikmin 4 leaks?
Nintendo has not said anything about Pikmin 4 since 2017. In 2017, Miyamoto said that the game was in development. It’s been three years and we haven’t seen or heard anything yet.
Nintendo could have decided to start from scratch which would be similar to when they decided to scrap Metroid Prime 4. Nintendo is very secretive, so we haven’t seen any leaks as of late. But, wait..according to the fandom report the Pikmin 4 is in development and we may see this in the coming months.
While we did not learn how Pikmin 4 is doing, the Pikmin 3 Deluxe release has given enthusiasts a new reason to be optimistic.
After unveiling the update, Nintendo might use it to generate buzz in the franchise or add new audiences to it.
And with the Switch’s sales figures against Pikmin 3’s original platform, the port would appeal to a much wider public.
Only time will tell what happens with Pikmin 4. What are your thoughts on these developments and where do you stand on its release? Comment below!