Your parents and the older people have always told you that you should have a sound sleep even if you are going through a busy time period. They said these things for your well-being, but now a new study found out that sleeping for 8 to 8.5 hours a day helps your weight loss process.
Regular Sleep Of 8.5 Hours Aids Weight Loss Procedure
According to reports of the World Health Organization (WHO) obesity or weight gain has nearly grown triple Since 1975. Yes as per statistics of the year 2016, 9.1 billion adults were recorded overweight and 650 million of those adults were facing obesity.
Weight gain is mainly caused by eating more than the required calories a particular human requires or due to physical inactivity. It also invites many health issues such as cardiovascular problems, muscle or bone disorders, cancer, etc. Following are some of the problems caused due to obesity in detail:-
- Heart disease and strokes-Obesity makes you prone to having high blood pressure and higher bad cholesterol levels, which are risky and can cause heart disease and strokes.
- Type 2 diabetes- Obesity has the capability to affect the way of the body using insulin in order to control blood sugar levels. This increases the threat of insulin resistance and diabetes.
- Certain cancers- Uterus, ovary, breast, colon, rectum, oesophagus, liver, pancreas, kidney ,prostate and a few other are some of the body parts which are prone to cancer during obesity.
- Digestive problems- Obesity raises the probability of developing heartburn, gallbladder disease, liver problems and many other problems related to the digestive system.
- Osteoarthritis- Obesity raises the stress on the weight-bearing joints and also in promotes inflammation in the body which may lead to other complications like osteoarthritis.
- Severe COVID-19 symptoms- Some researches also show that people who are obese tend to have more severe covid-19 symptoms.
The particular Experiment/research was conducted by the University of Chicago and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The experiment was conducted with the aim of discovering new grounds about sleep and its contribution to long-term weight loss. Below are all the important details, steps of the experiment, and also important figures related to it:-
- The researchers conducted the studies based on eighty adults who aged between 21 to 40.
- These people were judged overweight and slept less than 6.5 hours everyday.
- A particular portion of the people were told to sleep more than 8.5 hours had reduced their calorie intake per day naturally by 270 calories.
- If proper trajectory is followed then the low-calorie intake could result in 26 pounds of weight loss over a period of three years.
- The experiment was carried on for 4 weeks.
- The other half who were having normal sleep according to their standards saw no changes.
The Director of UChicago Sleep Center, Asia Tasali Explained when she talked about the experiment that it was not meant to analyze weight loss but to show how sleep is linked to the calorie intake of the body. She even said that she believes, if these habits shown in the experiment are followed then it can help in those clinical cases of weight loss over the time in which patients require weight loss.
Weight gain is a worldwide problem with more than 35% of adults facing it. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), nearly one-third of America’s adults do not get good quality or complete sleep regularly. Some of the benefits of proper sleep are as follows:-
- Not falling sick.
- Well maintained weight.
- Chances of health issues are less if you have good quality and quantity of sleep .
- Helps in lowering stress levels and providing relaxation.
- Proper regulation of hormones in the human body.
We can conclude by saying that in the research done by The University of Chicago and The University Of Wisconsin-Madison, people’s weight can be controlled without reducing the calories consumed and without increasing physical activities by sleeping over 8.5 hours on a daily basis.